20

My 1st Fracture

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Sunday, April 09, 2006
May 8th 1999
It was a fine day with a light breeze and a perfect evening to play. My enthusiasm for playing and love for outdoors took me to Guindy Park a few years back with a bunch of family friends. After spending considerable time on the swing and glider, I moved onto the monkey bar. I wanted to show my friends how strong I was despite my skinny appearance. I started my climb.The wind was singing slow hums and my side locks were being swept into my eyes. I felt as if I were flying . I tried in vain to push them aside with one hand, but by that time I had reached the centre of the bar. My other palm clamped with sweat lost its grip on the bar and I fell 6 feet to the ground and landed hard on my right hand.

There was no pain at all. But the moment I looked at my hand, the set of bones linking the thumb to the fore arm felt squishy. It looked alienish with my thumb hanging loosely without the support from the adjacent bone. I rushed to my friend's mother and showed her my arm. She gasped and before I could ask anything else, I was whisked off to the orthopedic centre. My parents came rushing to the hospital. The moment my mom saw my boneless arm under the X-Ray machine, she got hysterical and the nurse had to sedate her to calm her down!!
In the Operation Theatre all I remember was a sharp prick on my unharmed left arm and
some lady placing a mask on my face. I was asked to inhale deeply. I did feel funny at that moment. A ticklish sensation ran through my spine. I don't know if it was due to the cold metal table I was lying on or the anesthesia.
When I woke up I felt groggy and I imagined a dozen people around me.Someone was patting my head. Some instrument was attached to my finger. I thought I was hallucinating. But a few minutes later my head cleared and indeed there were a dozen people in the room staring at me and that was a pulse counter on my finger !

2 days later I was sent home with a huge PoP bandage covering my entire hand. I had to visit the doctor once a week and had to get my plaster replaced thrice.
The worst part was, I wasn't able to write even after the final crepe bandage had been removed. But the best part was that for those 3 months, I was given royal treatment at home !!

|

20 Comments


nice narration once again.. but considering itz a true incident rasikka than mudiyale :)


enna... sudden-aa everyone affected by nostalgia? :)


Why that title, 1st fracture? How many more are to come?


hmm.... royal treatment-kaaga venum-nne fracture pannathu theriyaathu-nnu nenaikkariyaa?


very eager to read abt ur 2nd, 3rd, 4th....fractures too...


indha monkey business thevaya? :) unna epadi thittaama vittaanga!!


as others said.. how many more? well.. thnk god someone noticed immediately and u got the operation done.. brave girl.. u didnt mention any crying so i am guessing u must be one


R.S,
Hehe.. thanks! No prob!

Aravind,
My friend just fractured his hand, so got reminded of my go at it.


Jinguchakka,
This was just the beginning...

Kuttichuvaru,
Ada, enakku mattum enna aasaiya??

Netcraze,
They'll be posted in the future. This was the most interesting of the lot!


Harish,
En paavamana moonjiya paarthutu thitta thonala yaarukum! :P

Vivhyd,
There was no crying coz I was unconscious!!


hehe....kuranguthanam panna jagardhiya pannanam... ;) should learn from me! :D


"I started my climb. I felt as if I were flying." flying..engayoo idikkithe.. :)


Vani,
Dhoda, innum enna panradhu? Idhu varaikum pannadhey podhum...

Vijay,
oops looks like a misplaced line! Corrected! Thanks for pointing it out!


Adhe sandhegam dhaan enakkum, innum ethana fracture?


WA,
3 more... :)


Ellarkkum treat kuduthiyaa?


so sad!might have been painful.


Manoj,
Fracture ku treat ah?? :O

Sheks,
I did mention in the beginning of the 2nd para that there was no pain.


fracture.. hmm....
do you feel the joint that got unified after fracture.

do you still have some kind of un ease ?

do you glory your fracture ?


Known Stranger,
I feel as if I've survived the nuclear war!! LOL

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar