10

Joys of the written word

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 in ,
I've been gobbling down book after book. Its almost like I have a thirst that can't be quenched by any water of the world. I'm re-reading a few books just to refresh myself with the happiness that came along with it. Malory Towers for instance, I can't tell you enough how often I used to rent out that book from the library during my school days. The uncontrollable sobbing when Dumbledore and Dobby died. Then there was the Oliver Twist which was a part of the syllabus at school which I couldn't bear to complete then, and now it brings back so many fond thoughts. Oh how could I forget the treacherous Shakespeare!! I played the shrew in Taming of the Shrew during the school anniversary and it was terrorizing recording the dialogues with GLo and RC breathing fire down my neck trying to make me pronounce the words right. I still shudder when I think of the insults thatha screamed at me when he made me read the unabridged version before him to rehearse. The obsession with which Daps & I used to read Goosebumps and promptly report and share the experiences, priceless!
There are so many books that I still want to read, but somehow never got to reading yet. It feels incomplete to end the day without a few authors. And whenever someone asks me who my favorite author is, or what my favourite book is, I am always at a loss for wordsI feel that there is absolutely no other activity that gives any better joy than what the written word can make you experience.

Emma awaits. .

|

10 Comments


To me books are good to have, good to showcase and good to talk about, but to read them, you need truck loads of paitience which I terribly lack :) You seem to be a Book"anaconda" (worm is too small a species to be used here)


//I feel that there is absolutely no other activity that gives any better joy than what the written word can make you experience.//

Same pinch.

I have this inexplicable liking for fat volumes. The joy you experience with a book in your hand is unmatchable.


I love reading...Oliver Twist was one of my favs from childhood reads. Still is :)

Right now Im reading 'Never Say Die' by the late Dr.Chris O'Brien.

The last book I finished reading was 'Tuesdays With Morrie' by Mitch Albom.

There's no 1 fav author or book...all writers n books r special.

:)

Keshi.


hiya...

so true, that we cant really pin it down to one author or book...

its an amazing experience as to where most of those well written books can take us...

a dreamland built by the author enlivened by our imagination...

our lives would be less exciting without them at times :)

take care... cheers...


Satish,
I don't have much patience with them either. Its just a few of them that bring a lot of joy to me.

BSK,
I have a thing for hard-bound editions.

Keshi,
I've been meaning to read Tuesdays with Morrie too. Sometime soon.

Arv,
Absolutely!


I bought 3 novels 2 months back and yet to finish them. i simply can't find the time. its the curse of being a phd student i guess :(


hmmm...
i bought 5 books (2 novels,1 autobiography and 1-dont know how to categorise that,i lost the fifth one while travelling..
i read 4..and books make u dream,they inspire u,help in motivating and are always the best and ofcourse the most constructive way as well when u r idol !!
hey i liked the layout of ur blog..wanted to know how ?


//I feel that there is absolutely no other activity that gives any better joy than what the written word can make you experience.//

Same pinch... but different kinda books ;) like... Tinkle, Champak, Tin Tin, Astrix, Archies, Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert :)


Long time, no see. :(


I also have a similar kind of addiction towards this written world. I have a lot of books to read. I have half completed PS I love you, Angels and Demons.

nice writing...

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar