10

Childhood revisited

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Thursday, June 04, 2009 in ,
I cleaned one fourth of the book shelf today which is a part of my duty that is already overdue. I was forced to yield today mainly because the mother was close to her scream-threshold. So I got onto my section of the 4 part bookshelf which is mainly stuffed with whimsical purchases of pure reading pleasure from Crossword and Landmark. Anyways, so here I was duster in hand picking out books, fondly sifting through some books passed on by thatha with his side notes about narrations and references in green ink, running my fingers over the frayed and brittle pages. After picking out close to 40 books, I found about half a dozen notebooks from school safely tucked away at the back, all tautly wrapped in brown paper and labeled. It was a moment of pure joy to recall all the hullabaloo that used to happen at home a few days before school was due to reopen for the new term. Thatha and Maa hurriedly wrapping notebooks and textbooks with brown paper, thatha neatly and sometimes on request, fancily writing my name, class, subject name and roll number on the label in his calligraphic handwriting. The white uniform crisply starched and dry cleaned. New canvas shoes, socks and polish from Bata. Pestering paa for a new bag which would be relented only on obtaining the top grade in class. . sigh! Fancy pouches to hold stationary - what pride it used to bring to flaunt the flashy pencil boxes and fragrant erasers on the reopening day. New set of black clips and scrunchies to fasten hair. I'm so glad my school didn't insist on ribbons and plaits! Rushing through the dreaded holiday homework which was conveniently forgotten until the last day of the holidays.
Those were undoubtedly the best days of my life, no matter how they passed, nothing till date has brought so much joy and nostalgia to write about.

|

10 Comments


:)) Nice thoughts of golden days..


I love such nostalgic moments :)


This post evoked memories of my salad days.

The pleasant smell of starched uniform, the unique aroma off the newly bought textbooks... hmmm.. went on a nostalgic trip.


Super ... appadiye naanum unga post a padichutu en school ku poitu vandhen (manasukulla) you really have kindled those lovely memories in me. School days will never return la :((

Anonymous says:

Reminded me of some of THE best days of my life! I am sitting right now humming my school song :-) Lovely post thank you so much for making me smile :-)


@ all,

Glad I could help you all jog back to your school days! :D


Lucky you!!!
I had wrap all books with the brown paper all by myself... :(

//New set of black clips and scrunchies to fasten hair. //

didn't have this problem... :P


I rem the brown-paper days! :)

Keshi.


KK,

I still can't gift wrap or cover notebooks! :P

Keshi,
Glorious days !


it seems that all happened eons n eons ago.... sigh... :(

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar