12

Oh so Pink

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Friday, January 23, 2009 in , , ,
For my music review of Delhi 6, go here.

What is it really with girls/women and the color pink? Is it mandatory that every girl ought to own a pair of pink colored garb ? A few of my friends were flabbergasted when I contorted my face on seeing their newly-acquired-eighteenth-pink salwar kameez.
Having been brought up in a family full of boys, I have only inherited their worn-out t shirts and ruggedly torn jeans along with their cricket bats and badminton rackets which I am dutifully passing down to nephews.
In another case, when I went shopping to buy a dress for my neighbour's newborn girl (Oh what a sight she is!), all I could find was pink pink pink and more shades of pink ! Why can't baby girls be dressed in blue or green or purple or any other color. Or is it put down in any baby rule book that blue is for boys and pink is for girls? What a glib way to differentiate the sexes right after birth!

On the contrary, I have great respect for men who can pull off a pink shirt and still retain their masculinity in it!
How can I write an entire post on pink and not mention roses !! Especially, those gigantic pink roses that literally grow out from behind some women's ears. I'm sure someday they would sprout a bud or two outside their ears, if you water them regularly. I have nothing against roses, but again, I love white and yellow roses the best!

I'm not against the color, but I hate women and feminity being associated with the color pink. I've always felt, pink can never look chic, mellow maybe, but never chic!

Should you be confused, maybe you should read this post on negating my own statements. :P

Just for the record, Pink Floyd happens to be my favorite band ! :P

|

12 Comments


//What is it really with girls/women and the color pink?//

The question which has been baffling men for centuries.

And, what's with the colour pink, Barbie dolls and pink-colored Barbie dolls?


Nee ponnu illangarthu naan romba naala sollara matter. Un blog-la neeyae proof-a vera poatukkara. Rascal :D


I think Pink is so feminine cos its soft and serene...just like women :)

Keshi.


PONNUNGA IPPOLLAAM NANNAA KALAKKARAA - adhu thaan PINK, munaadiye idhu nadakkum nu elaarukkum terinjirukku ;-)

BLUE - BAYANGARA LOOSAA URUPPADAAMA ERUPPA avaa thaan BOYS adhu thaan BLUE :)))

Cha, romba mokkayaa pottuteno, comment ngara peru la :(


that was some thought provoking question you had raised in ur blog.... It provoked me so much that i googled a lot on this topic...and amazed to find so many ppl had only confused themselves on this question like you.........

there is some insight provided in this blog on a similar topic

http://hueconsulting.blogspot.com/2007/03/why-is-blue-for-boys-and-pink-for-girls.html


but think like this... when it comes to emotions, blue is often associated with some gloomy thing....on the contrary pink symbolizes something that is delightful, joy etc., thatz why girls love pink more ;)


BSK,
Don't even get me started on Barbie dolls! I've never owned them and I'm glad I didn't!

Praveen,
Namba conclusion ku vandhu premise was different. Don't add and say 1+1=2, in this case, its 11! :P

Keshi,
That's exactly what I hate about it, calling women soft and serene like the color! :P


Satish,
Pah!

RS,
Don't analyze too much. Blog post ezhudinomaa ponomaa nu irupen nan! :P


What's ur fav song ? Pink by aerosmith? :P


tell me about :( . most of the nice stuff comes is pink. I own so many pink things now :'( . I don't even wanna. I mean its not like I have something against pink. But like you say that being associated with gals and being considered girly if you have pink and anything remotely cute coming in pink is HIGHLY irritating. Me no likey :-|


Vinod R Iyer,
No comments! :|

Neha,
Totally agree with you!


i am so much with u.. just becoz i don't like Pink all my friends insist on getting me things in d color "pink"... let me count..Salwar kameezes, Caps, stoles, Nail paints... grr.. which ultimately end up in my never to use bag...

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar