5

World Cup 2011

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Monday, April 04, 2011 in ,
April 2, 2011. A day that I personally will not forget and I join several other Indians in saying this. This is going to be a day I can remember and talk about with passion because I witnessed the making of this history. I really don't remember much about the previous world cups except for the fact that they always happened in between exams and I was never allowed to watch for longer than an hour. But this time, I was 9000 miles away from home sitting amongst half a dozen other Indian cricket fanatics, wearing the nation's tricolor and yelling our throats out and secretly hoping that the apartment management doesn't fine us for making so much noise.
I have never watched a game at the stadium. I have never watched a match with more than 3 people. I do not know the intricacies of the game. I cannot identify a Leg By or explain what a Dot ball is. I definitely cannot quote statistics. But, you cannot question my spirit for the game based on that. I can tell you that my spirit is no way lesser than the spirit with which every other Indian watching the game. I would keep my comments to myself, but I will swear when our wicket falls and cheer my voice hoarse for a four or a six. Heck, cricket is synonymous with patriotism.
I am not superstitious. But, I kept my legs crossed in a certain way because when I tried stretching them, Sachin got out. I did not pee until the drinks break. I shut my eyes and let my heart skip a beat whenever Gambhir swung his bat. I am ashamed to admit that I did not expect him to play that innings and every time he faced Malinga, I kept thinking that would be his final over. I expected too much out of Sachin & Sehwag and didn't have the courage to place my trust in Kohli or Gambhir. Respect to both you boys!
I don't want to get started on MS Dhoni. I will not stop. When he smashed that ball to a final six, I cried. I am not a very sentimental person and don't like to express my emotions much, but MS Dhoni, you made me cry that day and I am sure I will tell my children of your greatness.
But for now, I am going to join the revelry and wear this perpetual grin on my face. 
WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS 2011. Hell to the yeah.

|

5 Comments


"When he smashed that ball to a final six, I cried. I am not a very sentimental person and don't like to express my emotions much, but MS Dhoni, you made me cry that day and I am sure I will tell my children of your greatness."

Exact same feel, he made me cry. It took more than a few hours for the feeling to settle in. And its never too late for two Indians to hi-5 each other and say YAY! WE WON THE WORLD CUP.


ur passion totally comes thru the post! u made me emotional thru the post!


I was praying mentally with every ball that they hit the ball close to the ground and not get caught. what a strain for the nerves!!

still won't trade anything for all the frayed nerves :D


Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Hi-5!!!

You are so true about patriotism. I realized how racist I could get in those final 3 matches! ;)


true words straight from heart !!! 3 cheers to Indian team

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar