2

Overheard on the bus

Posted by Ramya Shankar on Friday, January 28, 2011 in , ,
Overheard a Mallu girl and a Marathi boy discussing films. Before you start discoursing on how eavesdropping is rude, let me tell you that they were 90 decibels too loud to be ignored. And I don't really force myself to be excluded from a conversation that floats by. That too when the people conversing are from the same country as me. This is patriotism of a totally different kind.
Meet Mallu Girl who desperately needs to realize the existence of moisturizers and lip balms. She wears a leopard print scarf over a frumpy winter coat and carries a fake red Prada bag that has likely been picked up from a thrift market.
The Marathi boy is dressed in a smart Calvin Klien coat and what look like genuine Italian leather shoes. He tries to look all important by unlocking and locking his iPhone every few minutes. You would think he's all posh until you hear his Marathi infused English.
Anyhow, here's a part of the conversation that my attention was limited to.

Mallu Girl: Have you heard of that 127 hours movie?
Marathi Boy: Wow! How many parts is it coming out in?
Mallu Girl: *giggle* No man, the movie is called 127 hours. It is a horror movie.
Marathi Boy: Wow! I love ghost stories.
Mallu Girl: But this is a different kind of horror movie. Not the ghost types. More like a suspense thriller. I heard it's based on a real life story. My friend said it was very disturbing.
Marathi Boy: Oh! You know what, I actually wanted to watch Dhobi Ghat. I used to live in Andheri. Have you heard of that place? I saw a lot of familiar places in the teasers..I used to hang out in all those places... blah.... Juhu... blah...but Thane...blah blah...

And he continued to ramble descriptively and proudly about the chaos in Mumbai shortly after he stereotyped the people by their geographic areas. I don't judge people too quickly, but I couldn't resist forming an opinion on this one. As I got off, I played 'Acid Darbari' on my iPod. Coincidences can be saved for later.

|

2 Comments


Ah so this was the Bombay stereotyping? But ROFL @ horror movie.

PS
Watched the film yesterday and Mr. Rahman has used Acid Darbari brilliantly I must say. Did you catch it?


@Gradwolf,
Hehe, yes!
I haven't watched the movie yet. I was warned of the arm chopping gore and have been postponing it ever since.

Copyright © 2009 Somethings & Nothings All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Customized by Ramya Shankar